Monday, May 2, 2011

What Are Your Thoughts On Chapters?

I'm feeling particularly lazy today, so I'm taking a little poll. An informal poll, mind. Not the neat type at the bottom of the page, like the one with 7 votes for Totally Awesome (thanks for that, btw). Just a question for you to answer in the comments--- because the question's answer depends on perspective--- along with a few rambly lines of my own.

The question: Do you do chapters, when working on a novel-length work?

My rambles: I found myself thinking about chapters earlier today, and was a little confused when I realized that I don't use them. Therefore, my writing pieces are just long, continuous streams of words, separated by an occasional floating asterisk.

In my opinion, this can be a pro or a con. Pro, because it means that the writing just kind of flows along, la la la, and it can be a unique tool to constructing the unity of a work. Con, because it makes reading your writing tiring as Dell. Plus, there are no clearly defined chunks, and this may even hurt the unity of a story. You don't want a book to just drag on, not divided into any decisively organized beginning-and-end progressions. I've heard people complain about books with no chapters, because there are no defined stopping points.

So, you tell me. Pro or con? Chapters or no chapters?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I do chapters. I like having a way to divide up my novel into little chunks. It makes it easier to work on, and it makes it easier to have scenes that don't necessarily connect off from anything else. Does that make sense? Plus, it makes it easier to switch POVs without confusing everyone. Furthermore, I like writing awesome chapter titles beginning with "In Which."

    Mind, I think things can be written extremely well without chapters - Discworld, anyone? And I totally understand why people decide not to use them. But they work well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually agree with you completely, and all your reasons make lots of sense. That's why I need to cure my chapterless writing, IMO.

    Haha, In Which chapter titles are the best. (: In the one chapter-using thing I did write, I did 26 chapters, the first title beginning with A, the second with B, etc. I saw that somewhere, and thought it was very cool.

    ReplyDelete