It's often said that your writing should be unpredictable, and go against the expected. Above all, it's said that you should keep the widest possible berth from cliches.
But how can you defy the expected if we don't have a standard for "expected"? As it happens, we do. That standard is called cliche.
Quiet as a mouse, writing on the wall, dark and stormy night--- all of these and more are cliches that most writers will learn to avoid (like the plague). But really, you shouldn't scorn cliches. Like any other tool in writing, you should simply learn how to maniuplate them to fit your purposes.
Modifying a cliche can help you to make a much bigger impression than you would otherwise (especially in first sentences/paragraphs). For instance, take this sentence from Good Omens (Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman):
"It wasn't a dark and stormy night. It should have been, but there's the weather for you. For every mad scientist who's had a convenient thunderstorm just on the night his Great Work is complete and lying on the slab, there have been dozens who've sat around aimlessly under the peaceful stars while Igor clocks up the overtime."
What a great sentence. Even taken completely out of context, it still retains a satirical aura to it because it's so obviously troping the "dark and stormy night" cliche (credited, for the record, to Edward Bulwer-Lytton, sometimes called the purple prose poster child). It also sets a tone for the reader.
In the realm of first sentence cliches, the obvious go-to is "once upon a time." A modern reference to this that comes to mind is the musical titled "Once Upon A Mattress," or the book "Once Upon A Marigold." These are both great manipulations of cliche for several reasons.
- A title is the first thing you hear about a book, movie, song, musical, etc. You want your title to be something that stands out, but also something that's easily memorable. But you don't want it to be weird or forced. (For instance, when I'm reading movie reviews and I see something titled "RED" or "HOP" I'm like, okay, I get it. Don't yell at me. "Red" or "Hop" would have sufficed. Same goes for something like Diary of A Wimpy Kid: Roderick Rules [who's Roderick? why the Dell I care about him?] or Hanna [who's this Hanna chick? why do I care about her? why are you so intent upon not giving me any clue what this movie is about?])
Once Upon A Mattress and Once Upon A Marigold are both memorable, because they play off of "once upon a time." Even though I haven't read Once Upon A Marigold in years and I've only read lyrics to Once Upon A Mattress, the names stick in my head. And because they're based on a phrase that's already well-known, they don't sound weird or forced. - The title asks a question. Once upon what mattress? To me, this title is a little suggestive and it makes you want to Google it. And once you do, you find out that the story is a fractured fairy tale--- an adaption of the Princess and the Pea. This is a fascinating premise, so now you're further hooked.
- The title is not over-the-top. Once Upon A Marigold's sequel is called "Twice Upon a Marigold." In my opinion, this is an acceptable title, but only because it's a sequel. If your debut or standalone novel was called "Twice Upon A Marigold," I would shake my head and be like, "Man, you're pushing it." After all, if you warp the cliche beyond recognition, you're completely defeating the point of manipulating it in the first place. If I adapted "dark and stormy night" to "visually straining, pigment-depleted, and weather clemency-unenhanced daytime-doppelganger," then absolutely no one would associate it with the phrase "dark and stormy night." Moreover, my adaption sounds so patently annoying that no one would ever want to read it.
Because I'm exhausted now and I think I've cranked out enough pretentious, stuffy blogginess for one day (I'm pretty inept at this right now, but I'll improve), I will leave.
Daily Prompt: Pick one of the cliches listed below. Adapt it and write a story to go along with it. Always save your work. Post your resulting story (or excerpt) of 500 words or less in the comments, if you so desire. And have a great Monday.
-It made my blood boil
-My eyes began to glaze
-She was grasping at straws
-It got under his skin
-My skin crawled
-A glimmer of hope in his eyes
-Difficult for me to swallow
Very nice. And I agree with you on most of these points. Except for "visually straining, pigment-depleted, and weather clemency-unenhanced daytime-doppelganger," which I think is pretty awesome.
ReplyDeleteI agree with ZNZ that "visually straining, pigment-depleted, and weather clemency-unenhanced daytime-doppelganger" is a pretty awesome title, even if you can't tell it's a cliche.
ReplyDeleteI did write a *very* short story on "she was grasping for straws" except it's exceptionally horrible and makes absolutely no sense.
@ZNZ/Ema: Thanks! (: Re: daytime-doppelganger: lolz I suppose I can see what you mean. xD Try and say it five times fast, though.
ReplyDelete@Ema: lies, lies, I bet it's alright. If you were to post it, I promise not to judge. (:
@ML: since you're not judging, I guess so. (: Just keep in mind that I'm running on about four hours of sleep and I'm awful at writing prompts but I like to do them anyway. aaand I'm apologizing in advance for lack of character names.
ReplyDelete-Fingerless Gloves-
I roll the straw over in the palm of my hand, memorizing the sleek texture of it as it twirls onto my fingertips. I’ll pick this one, and I’ll show the distinctive symbol written in permanent marker to the rest of them; jealousy will flash across their faces, but they’ll half-heartedly congratulate me anyway.
Today's the day that I'm getting out of here; the day that I'll finally get to leave.
"You!"
Guiltily, I shove the straw up my shirt's sleeve, hoping that the shape of it won't look unnatural against my tight clothes. Flushing red and swallowing, I whisper, "Yes, ma'am?"
The woman takes a few more steps towards me until I can feel her hot breath start to melt my face; she lifts my chin up so that we’re eye-level. Arrogant prowess simply reeks from the air that she’s assuming and it’s disgusting.
A few deadly seconds pass of scanning my eyes for treachery before she removes her index finger, allowing my neck to snap rather ungracefully back down again. "We're going to pick straws in five," she tells me in a sickly-sweet voice. "Mind yourself, I don't want you to be late for the ceremony."
"Yes, yes'm," I stutter, taken aback by her suddenness. "Of course..."
Surreptitiously sliding the straw back into the cardboard Kleenex container, I can barely hear the woman mutter something as she stalks out of the room.
“That one- now that one. Something odd about her; I've no idea what it is, though. Damn slippery straws.”
----
And wow I just realized this whole story is a cliche and weird prose. *cringes*
Seriously, I didn't think it was so very horrible. (: The writing was good, even if it was cliche, like you said. It's not so prosy, either; there's dialogue. idk why it's called Fingerless Gloves tho. xD
ReplyDeletelol, I don't really know either. I think at the beginning, she's wearing fingerless gloves because she doesn't actually feel the straw until it touches her fingertips (?). Fingerless gloves are cool, tho.
ReplyDeleteNot even close to being on-topic, but how long did it take for your Darren Criss sunglasses to arrive?
xD I agree, fingerless gloves are supremely cool. The sunglasses took... maybe four or five days? Don't quote me, but it was something in that approximation.
ReplyDelete